Tom Thumb Treats
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla until foamy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the egg mixture. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spread over crust. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 101 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 17, 2011
This has become our families favorite cookie bar recipe! It's easy enough for my girls to make by themselves and it tastes like it took hours to make. The brown sugar gives it a caramel taste, the coconut and walnuts add the perfect crunch. Definitely a recipe worth passing down!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.