Tofu-Stuffed Pasta Shells
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 15 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1-1/2 cups silken firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tofu, 2 tablespoons Romano cheese and garlic; cover and process until smooth. (Add 1 tablespoon water if mixture is too thick.) Add spinach; process until blended. Drain shells; stuff with tofu mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce and wine. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells over sauce. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Romano cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until shells are heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 262 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Oct 21, 2010
These were delicious, but I omitted the cheese because I'm trying to eat healthier. I still loved them. Nice and creamy filling and saucy tomatoes and pasta made this heavenly
Oct 17, 2010
I'm a seasoned cook and not a picky eater, but this was not only tasteless but but a green pile of mush. Don't waste your time with this.
Jan 10, 2010
This was my family's first adventure with tofu. We found the sauce a little lacking and next time would use a canned sauce rather than the diced tomatoes and sauce. It lacked a little flavor but that was fixed with a little Italian seasoning added. Great way to enjoy stuffed shells if you are lactose intolerant (just leave out the cheese)!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.