Tofu-Stuffed Pasta Shells
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 15 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1-1/2 cups silken firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tofu, 2 tablespoons Romano cheese and garlic; cover and process until smooth. (Add 1 tablespoon water if mixture is too thick.) Add spinach; process until blended. Drain shells; stuff with tofu mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce and wine. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells over sauce. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Romano cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until shells are heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 262 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 21, 2010
These were delicious, but I omitted the cheese because I'm trying to eat healthier. I still loved them. Nice and creamy filling and saucy tomatoes and pasta made this heavenly
Oct 17, 2010
I'm a seasoned cook and not a picky eater, but this was not only tasteless but but a green pile of mush. Don't waste your time with this.
Jan 10, 2010
This was my family's first adventure with tofu. We found the sauce a little lacking and next time would use a canned sauce rather than the diced tomatoes and sauce. It lacked a little flavor but that was fixed with a little Italian seasoning added. Great way to enjoy stuffed shells if you are lactose intolerant (just leave out the cheese)!