- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- Beat flour, 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter until well blended (mixture will be dry and crumbly). Firmly press into prepared pan. Sprinkle pecans over flour mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining butter and remaining brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stirring constantly, boil until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Carefully pour mixture over pecans. Bake until bubbly and edges start to brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand until chocolate begins to melt; spread evenly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forToffee Turtle Squares
"I made these squares on 9/21/17 and I did 1 change-I chilled the bars once the chocolate was melted and spread over the toffee mixture. The other 2 reviewers have summed up that this recipe is a keeper and I agree! Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor"
"This recipe covers all of the bases. All yummy things rolled into one. Layers of chocolate and toffee piled on top of a buttery pecan hot crust to melt and mend.Truly awesome. I made 1/2 of the recipe. Baked in an 8x8 " square pan. Baked for about 23 minutes. And no parchment paper .Cut and baked perfectly.I hope to see more reviews on this newly found little gem.Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor!Don't lose out! It's a must try!"
"Great recipe that only requires 5 ingredients but has BIG flavor. Took these to a picnic tonight and everyone loved them. I didn't have any to bring home. This recipe is a keeper!!"