VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (4 ounces each) German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk, vanilla, flour and salt; mix well.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Melt chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over hot bars. Sprinkle immediately with nuts. Cool; cut into 1-1/4-in. squares. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Toffee Squares in Country Woman November/December 1995, p40