Toffee-Mocha Cream Cake
Guests’ eyes will sparkle when they catch a glimpse of this rich, beautiful layer cake. The dessert serves 12, so it’s ideal for a party or special occasion. —Julie Yoder, Hutchinson, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) milk chocolate English toffee bits
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water; stir into batter.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, dissolve coffee granules in hot water. Add cream and brown sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1-1/3 cups filling; sprinkle with 1/2 cup toffee bits. Repeat layers twice. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 644 calories, 38g fat (23g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Toffee-Mocha Cream Cake in Country December/January 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.