Layers of caramel and chocolate cover a cookie crust, creating these rich treats. I made several pans for our son's wedding and received many requests for the recipe. The scrumptious bars are also perfect for cookie exchanges.
Recommended: 37 Dessert Recipes for People Who Love Cheesecake
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir 5 minutes. Pour over warm crust.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over filling. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Toffee Caramel Squares in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p30