These lovely little layered treats boast a buttery bottom and soft toffee top with a sprinkling of almonds. One recipe even makes enough to set some aside for company...if Santa doesn't get to them first!
Recommended: The Best Cookies for Dunking
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir in flour. Spread evenly onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a microwave-safe dish, combine the chips, corn syrup, shortening, water and remaining salt. Cover and microwave at 50% power until chocolate is melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Spread over slightly cooled crust. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate until set. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Toffee Almond Sticks in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p44