Toasted Walnut Bread
Loaded with nutty flavor, this down-home bread is sure to be another hit with your gang. I received the recipe from a co-worker and simply substituted some of the all-purpose flour with the whole wheat variety.—Linda Kees, Boise, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 202 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Toasted Walnut Bread in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.