VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups sunflower kernels, divided
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook and stir 1 cup of sunflower kernels until lightly browned, about 6 minutes; remove from the heat. Stir in soy sauce until kernels are evenly coated. Cool, stirring several times. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until ground.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the wheat flour, brown sugar, oil, salt and ground sunflower kernels. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide in half; let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sunflower kernels over the bottom and sides of two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Shape dough into loaves; place in pans. Press remaining kernels into top of dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Toasted Sunflower Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p35
Reviews forToasted Sunflower Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review