Toasted Sausage Cacciatore Sammies
A hot sandwich will warm your family down to their toes. This one’s packed with sausage, eggplant and mushrooms, and so tasty you’ll want to prepare it again and again! —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (11-1/4 ounces) frozen garlic Texas toast
- 3 Italian sausage links, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Bake garlic toast according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook the sausage, eggplant, mushrooms and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and Italian seasoning; heat through. Spoon over cut sides of garlic bread and top with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 360 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 865mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Sausage Cacciatore Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012