Toasted Oatmeal Bread
I entered this special bread recipe in our state fair, and it won a blue ribbon. It's been a holiday favorite of mine ever since!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, lightly toasted
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt; mix well. In a small saucepan, heat water, milk, molasses and butter until a thermometer reads 120°-130° (butter does not need to melt). Add to yeast mixture; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg, oats and 2 cups flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Shape into two round loaves; place on greased baking sheets. With sharp knife, cut four parallel slashes on top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 183 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.