Toasted Oat Raisin Loaves Recipe
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1. In a large skillet, cook and stir oats over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. In a large bowl, combine oats, 3 cups flour, brown sugar, yeast and salt. Beat in the milk, butter, honey and eggs until smooth. Stir in raisins, nuts and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and cold water; brush over loaves. With a very sharp knife, make three shallow cuts across the top of each loaf. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Editor's Note: Bread may also be shaped into two round loaves and baked on two greased baking sheets. Yield: 2 loaves.
Editor's Note: Bread may also be shaped into two round loaves and baked on two greased baking sheets.
1 slice: 184 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.