Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 6 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 jar (12 ounces) toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring brown sugar and water to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, flour and salt. Stir oil and vanilla into sugar mixture; pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until dry and lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 307 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Jan 20, 2013
I made this and packaged it up for a healthy Christmas gift along with the recipe. Everyone loved it and it was something different from all the other sweet treats you get at that time of year.
Jul 20, 2011
LOL LOL I'm sorry, but for some reason the previous two comments made me chuckle. Sounded like some siblings I know. Been a busy day, and I needed to hear (read) something humorous.
Feb 2, 2011
You are not supposed to rate it until you actually try it!
Mar 27, 2008
this sounds delicious!