Pickle relish sparks the flavor of the chicken salad in these grilled sandwiches shared by Ruth Peterson of Jenison, Michigan. They are especially good with the easy cheese sauce.
Recommended: 15 Tea Sandwich Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, drained
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 bread slices, crusts removed
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, celery, mayonnaise, relish, onion, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Spread over half of the bread; top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and remaining salt. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture.
- In a large skillet or on a griddle, melt butter over medium heat; grill sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine cheese sauce ingredients in saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Serve as a dipping sauce with sandwiches. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Toasted Chicken Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p39