Toasted Cheese Supreme
"I serve these flavorful hot ham and cheese sandwiches by themselves for lunch or with steaming bowls of my homemade clam chowder for a heartier meal," writes Wanda Evans of Tacoma, Washington.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 ounces thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Spread flour slices of bread with mayonnaise. Layer each with ham, cheese and onion. Spread horseradish sauce on remaining bread; place bread with horseradish side down over onion. Spread butter on the outside of each sandwich.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Originally published as Toasted Cheese Supreme in Quick Cooking January/February 1999
Feb 9, 2016
So delicious! Great with a bowl of potato soup on a cold day or with chips for for a refreshing summertime lunch!
Dec 19, 2012
Excellent! Thank you for sharing the recipe.