Toasted Almond Granola
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Fat-free plain yogurt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, cereal, wheat germ, milk powder, almonds, brown sugar, sunflower kernels and salt. In a saucepan, combine the orange juice, honey and oil. Heat for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until honey is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in the extracts. Pour over the oat mixture; stir to coat.
- Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in dried fruits. Store in an airtight container. Serve with yogurt if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 212 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit.
Jul 2, 2012
This was a great way to start the day!
Jul 2, 2012
Healthy meal that tastes great.
Jan 2, 2010
I make this often leaving out the dried milk powder and raisins. I use dried cherries instead of cranberries. My whole family loves it as a cereal or yogurt topping.