Toasted Almond Caramels
Preparing these caramels never fails to put me in the holiday spirit. Later, when I'm passing them around, that cheerful feeling becomes contagious. —Mae Ondracek, Pahrump, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- Line an 8-in. square dish with foil; butter the foil with 1 teaspoon butter. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; boil gently without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; slowly stir in cream. Return to the heat; cook, without stirring, over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and almonds.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape sides of saucepan). Cool completely. Using foil, lift caramel out of pan. Discard foil; cut caramel into squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper or foil; twist ends.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 94 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Toasted Almond Caramels in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.