Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1. Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 2 cups; combine remaining crumb mixture with all remaining ingredients. Sprinkle 1 cup reserved crumbs in the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Pour batter over crumbs and sprinkle remaining crumbs on top. Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 piece: 262 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Tillie's Ginger Crumb Cake
"This is very similar to a recipe handed down from my great-grandmother who was born in the late 1800's. My grandpa and I loved this cake (our recipe included raisins)--very good with a cup of coffee!"