Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon green hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets (4 ounces each), cut lengthwise in half
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) Southwestern black beans
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg, milk and pepper sauce. In another shallow bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, cumin and pepper. Dip tilapia in egg mixture, then in cornmeal mixture, patting to help coating adhere. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Drizzle tops with oil. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place beans in a small saucepan; heat through over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve tilapia in tortillas; top with beans, tomatoes, cabbage, salsa verde and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 438 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 12g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 20, 2015
This was a great recipe to build from. I made some tweaks either to suit my preferences or because it was what I had on hand. To the egg wash I added Franks Red Hot sauce, garlic powder, coriander and sea salt. To the corn meal mixture I simply added garlic salt and black pepper. I topped the tacos with a cilantro-cabbage slaw (from my friends garden), tomatoes, black olives and my cilantro-lime sour cream sauce, with the option of salsa verde...which I'm a huge fan of!
Aug 19, 2013
We thought this was really bland, and didn't care for it too much. If I make it again, it would be with a lot of changes.
Jul 23, 2013
Not outstanding, but a good stand-by to have in my arsenal.
Apr 18, 2013
This was an awesome recipe. I bought some tortilla crusted tilapia and baked it instead of making the coating. My husband and daughter loved them. I love that it keeps in line with our conversion to more healthy recipes. Thanks to Jade Peterson from Portland, Oregon for this great recipe.
Apr 18, 2013
This was my first time making fish tacos: they were good. I did make some changes which probably don't keep it quite as slimmed down. I omited the salsa verde (I just don't care for it.) and added cheese and sour cream. Next time I will also add fresh salsa.
Mar 29, 2013
I had never tried fish tacos so I was really excited about this recipe when I saw it. It wasn't awful tasting but it lacked something. It was kind of dry tasting and it was not because of overcooking the fish. It needed something. I will not make it again.