The look and taste of this impressive dish are delectably deceiving. Only the cook needs to know how quickly the saucy white fish and sauteed veggies come together. —Helen Conwell, Fairhope, Alabama
Recommended: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tilapia fillets (4 ounces each)
- 2 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet, bring wine, water, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat; add tilapia. Poach, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, turning once. Remove and keep warm.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Meanwhile, in another skillet, saute the yellow squash, zucchini and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt.
- In a blender, combine the reduced liquid, roasted peppers and vinegar; cover and process until smooth. Serve with fish and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tilapia & Veggies with Red Pepper Sauce in Country Woman December/January 2009, p29