VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pink, green and blue gel food coloring
- 24 to 28 pieces multi-colored pull-and-peel licorice (9-1/2 inches each)
- 48 to 56 Life Savers candies
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting
- On a lightly floured surface, knead cookie dough and flour until combined (dough will be stiff). Press into a 5-in. circle. Top with one dot of each color food coloring; knead 5-10 times or until colors just begin to swirl.
- Roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out with a floured 3-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Turn cookies bottom side up. For each cookie, lace one piece of licorice through one Life Saver; loop the licorice through the Life Saver again to hold the candy in place. Repeat with second Life Saver. Attach kite tails to the back of each cookie with frosting. Let stand until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Tie-Dyed Kite Cookies in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p40