- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, half of the thyme and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meatballs; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, carrots and mushrooms in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, tomatoes, meatballs and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forThyme for Meatball Soup
"I haven't made this soup in several years, but I have fond memories of it. Then, when I wanted to make it today I couldn't find my recipe. Thank goodness I thought to look it up on the computer. It is just as good as I remembered it to be."
"I thought this was just OK. Kind of bland but edible."