Thyme for Meatball Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, half of the thyme and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meatballs; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, carrots and mushrooms in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, tomatoes, meatballs and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Aug 22, 2014
Very tasty. I did add some garlic salt and pepper to give it a little more flavor. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, cleaned out my fridge and added leftover corn and French style green beans, and a quart of beef stock in place of the broth.
Jul 18, 2012
I haven't made this soup in several years, but I have fond memories of it. Then, when I wanted to make it today I couldn't find my recipe. Thank goodness I thought to look it up on the computer. It is just as good as I remembered it to be.
Sep 29, 2010
I thought this was just OK. Kind of bland but edible.
Nov 1, 2009
This soup is really surprisingly good. The broth is very tasty and carries the whole soup well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.