Thyme Butternut Squash
This comforting and savory side is spiced with a pleasant combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and mace.—Eleanor Davis, Sun Lakes, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 35 min.
- 1 large butternut squash (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 13x9-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Cover and bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until squash is tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Remove squash from shell and add to bowl; mash until smooth. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 141 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Thymed Butternut Squash in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.