IF YOU don't try this refreshing salad, you have missed the best! The crisp greens and bright oranges make it colorful, and the sweet caramelized almonds create a unique crunch. This salad is a special treat for family and company. -Les Cunningham, San Diego, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir almonds and sugar until almonds are coated and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Spread the almonds on heavy-duty foil to cool; gently bread apart.
- In a large salad bowl, combine romaine, oranges, celery and onions. Top with almonds. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Pour over the salad and toss gently.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 220 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Three-Step Salad in Reminisce January/February 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.