"I sampled a wonderful gourmet bread during an out-of-town trip," says Melissa Vannoy of Childress, Texas. "When I got home, I tried to re-create it in my bread machine and came up with this hearty whole wheat bread chock-full of sunflower kernels, and poppy and sesame seeds."
Recommended: Banana Bread A to Z
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Originally published as Three-Seed Bread in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p33