A trio of peppers livens up this comforting side dish. "I've had this recipe for many years," says Virginia Anthony, Jacksonville, Florida. "I lightened it up from the original by using reduced-fat sour cream and milk, plus some egg substitute. It tastes just as good...but it's much better for us!"
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen corn, thawed, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- In a nonstick skillet, cook red pepper and green onions in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the green chilies, jalapeno peppers and one package corn. Transfer to 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients and the remaining corn. Cover and process for 3 minutes or until smooth. Pour over red pepper mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Three-Pepper Corn Pudding in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p20