"This authentic Italian spaghetti sauce recipe is a longtime family favorite," relates Lillian Di Senso of Lake Havasu City, Arizona. "Very hearty with lots of meat and a zippy flavor, it's wonderful over a plateful of your favorite pasta."
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 5 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley or 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh oregano or 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, pork and sausage in oil; drain. Add onions; cook until tender. Add the tomato sauce and paste, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beef and pork are tender. Serve with spaghetti.
- Freeze Option: Cool remaining sauce; place in freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and reheat, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 18 cups.
Originally published as Three-Meat Sauce in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p16
Reviews forThree-Meat Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2008
"Muffintop: I do the same for my speghetti sauce except I haven't used the pork but I add mushrooms."