Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cold milk
- 3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa and sugar. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Stir a small amount of mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°. Stir in the wafer crumbs, coconut and vanilla.
- Press into an ungreased 8-in. square dish. Let stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pudding. Spread over crust. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over filling. Refrigerate until serving. Cut into bars.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 31, 2014
My mother makes these every Christmas. She actually is the person who submitted this recipe that was published in the Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007. These have always been my brother's favorite on holidays, but is now a favorite to all. Each layer in itself is wonderful, but together, perfection! Warning!! You can't stop at one, two, three,.......!