A pantry staple -biscuit mix- makes this dessert from Jean Komlos of Plymouth, Michigan, a snap. Liven it up with miniature chocolate chips and the summer's freshest berries and fruits.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sliced peeled peaches
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small bowl, combine baking mix and chocolate chips; stir in milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2-in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine fruits and lemon juice. Add confectioners' sugar; toss to coat.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon fruit over bottom halves. Replace shortcake tops. Serve with whipped topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake with 3/4 cup fruit (calculated without whipped topping): 245 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Fruit Shortcakes in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008