A pantry staple -biscuit mix- makes this dessert from Jean Komlos of Plymouth, Michigan, a snap. Liven it up with miniature chocolate chips and the summer's freshest berries and fruits.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sliced peeled peaches
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small bowl, combine baking mix and chocolate chips; stir in milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2-in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine fruits and lemon juice. Add confectioners' sugar; toss to coat.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon fruit over bottom halves. Replace shortcake tops. Serve with whipped topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake with 3/4 cup fruit (calculated without whipped topping): 245 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Fruit Shortcakes in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.