Three-Cheese & Pepper Penne
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (5 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, saute chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining oil until tender.
- In a Dutch oven, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the red peppers, mozzarella and provolone cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mushrooms and chicken.
- Drain pasta; stir into sauce. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until bubbly, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 534 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 1002mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Oct 14, 2012
Everything goes together to make a great comfort food dish. A great cheesy pasta. However, adding more butter or some kind of oil might be beneficial because the cheese kind of hardened and got rubbery after a while.
Apr 3, 2012
Pretty good but nothing special
Feb 9, 2012
I did not like this recipe, as soon as I added the cheese the sauce fell apart. It was NOT good at all!! I wasted my time on this recipe . My advice is to use less cheese.
Aug 19, 2011
This has quickly become a family favorite....it is my 18 year old son's favorite. I use Kraft Italian blend for the mozarella provolone mix since I don't care to grate provolone. I am an accomplished cook and found the prep time to be too little (unless you use multiple pans and buy your mushrooms already sliced). The time is worth it. Save your calories from another meal to eat this!!