Three-Cheese Meatball Mostaccioli
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) mostaccioli
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) pasta sauce with meat
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 3/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh parsley or fresh baby arugula, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions for al dente; drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix eggs and ricotta cheese.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef and onion 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in brown sugar and seasonings. Add pasta sauce and mostaccioli; toss to combine.
- Transfer half of the pasta mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with ricotta mixture and remaining pasta mixture; sprinkle with Romano cheese. Top with meatballs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until heated through. If desired, top with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 541 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1335mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2018
Party of 6 loved it for New Year's Eve. Plenty of leftovers, too!
Sep 18, 2017
Really good when you are looking for more than a standard spaghetti and meatballs. It does make quite a bit but it looks like it would halve nicely for next time when I make it.
Jul 20, 2017
Simple & very tasty. I halved the recipe as there is only 2 0f us. Enough for leftovers.
Nov 27, 2016
This was very good. Just be sure to choose good meatballs. The ones I bought were not that good.
Jun 5, 2016
I thought this was a very good recipe. The only thing I might change is maybe just use a little bit less sugar. I thought it was just a little sweet. Other than that I thought it was good.
Mar 10, 2016
To "chsw" question. No there is "not" a problem with the recipe. Yes, it states to cook the ground beef because there is crumbled ground beef in addition to the packaged Italian meatballs which are added on top last. Did you read the entire recipe? Unfair to rate a 3 because you did not "read" through the entire recipe. The recipe is a quick, easy, filling and tasty family meal. I always add fresh garlic to these dishes in place of the garlic powder. It lends for an amazingly fresh burst of garlic flavor. Just complete your meal by adding a garden salad and French bread. Enjoy!
Mar 10, 2016
Does anyone see a problem with this recipe. It is called Three-Cheese "Meatball" Mostaccioli but in the recipe is says " cook beef and onion 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles".
Nov 25, 2015
So easy to put together and very tasty! This made a lot! I even had enough to freeze after feeding guests for a big dinner.
Oct 25, 2015
This is a keeper!! I asked my husband what new recipe he wanted try the day I received my October/November issue of Simple and Delicious and this was his choice. It was so good! I thought it tasted even better reheated the next day for lunch. I have already had two friends ask me for the recipe!
Sep 1, 2015
This was a hit with my kids!