- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, bouillon and oregano. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and egg. Stuff shells with the cheese mixture.
Arrange shells in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Spoon meat sauce over shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: After assembling, sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forThree-Cheese Jumbo Shells
"I thought this was horrible (and so did my family). It was tasteless and needed a lot more than salt and pepper. I would suggest using italian sausage for starters."
"I liked it a lot, I would definitely make it again. Very filling."
"I make stuffed shells often. I only make mine cheese stuffed and stuff my manacotti with meat. No need to pre-cook shells. just stuff them and put them in the sauce, cover with foil and remove at the end to brown the cheese a little."
"This was a good one. will be making again.--BDW"
"I read the reviews before I made this recipe and followed Nancy03743's suggestions when I made it. I added 1-1/2 tsp. basil, 1-1/2 tsp. parsley, 1-1/2 tsp. garlic, 1-1/2 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and omitted the beef bouillon. This recipe is delicious and pretty easy. I'm adding it to our regular dinner rotation."
"I tried it but would like to tweek it , some garlic , onion powder,.."
"Will make again, this was yummy! I did add 1 tabsp. parsley, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper to cheese mixture. Next time I might add 1 tsp. Italian seasoning to meat mixture."
"Made last night for dinner and we all had seconds..East to make and yummy..."
"I noticed this recipe needed more spices so I added 1-1/2 tsp. basil, 1-1/2 tsp. parsley, 1-1/2 tsp. garlic, 1-1/2 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and omitted the beef bouillon. It tasted like my homemade lasagna recipe that won 1st place in a contest."