Three-Bean Barley Salad
Kidney beans, black beans and garbanzo beans deliciously combine in this hearty salad.—Pat Miller, North Fork, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup honey Dijon salad dressing
- In a saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 11-13 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer barley to a serving bowl. Add the beans and onions. Pour dressing over top; gently stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 224 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Three-Bean Barley Salad in Country Woman May/June 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.