Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pork and beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until heated through, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Jul 24, 2013
These were terrific! The cumin and the hot sauce were just the added touch to make these special. Years ago I had a recipe similar to this, but adding these two ingredients made so much difference. In spite of the long list of ingredients, it goes together fast and easy.