- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, divided
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add egg, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, oil, sugar, salt, chili powder and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce; beat until smooth. Add 1 cup flour; beat for 1 minute. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in onion, mushrooms, olives, green pepper and remaining tomato sauce and hot pepper sauce.
- Punch dough down; turn once onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with butter. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 slices.
Reviews forThick 'n' Chewy Pizza
"I've made this pizza many times. Everyone loves it. I sometimes use 1/2 ground beef & 1/2 italian sausage. I also sprinkle parmesan over the top. It's great."