The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing
Makes10 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook until dark golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, until noodles are tender, 20-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Discard bay leaves.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 1176mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Jun 25, 2019
This is a lot like my recipe I have used for years. I use olive oil because it is what I have on hand. And I use both white and dark meat. And also use basil instead if parsley. I sometimes add a few left over peas from dinner the night before. And a small amount (to taste) of Cayenne pepper for those with a cold. And a few sautéed mushrooms. BUT I tried this recipe to the "T"!! And I must say it is a very yummy soup. It is a keeper in my recipe box. Thank you so much for sharing with us. You have a winner here in my heart!! THANK YOU!! ??
Jun 15, 2019
My kids don’t like vegetables, especially onions and garlic, but they LOVED this soup!!!!! Only thing I did different was add a bunch of basil leaves fresh instead of parsley, and I picked up a rotisserie chicken (original) for my meat.
Jun 10, 2019
Excellent. I used homemade spaghetti l had cooked to much of the night before. It has a great hearty flavour. Janet. VFE
Jun 9, 2019
May 18, 2019
I just found the chicken noodle soup recipe I'm going to keep! This was fantastic as written! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe! I paired it with cheddar biscuits.
Mar 27, 2019
This is a great recipe! I do make my own broth and that is what I used. Just the right amount of vegetables and chicken! I used less noodles.
Feb 20, 2019
This recipe made great soup and I just added 1/8th cup of cream sherry wine for that zest flavor!
Feb 12, 2019
Really good.Baked the chicken in the oven. Set aside to cool. Cooked vegetables in a little oil then continued as directions indicated.
Feb 3, 2019
This was a very good recipe. The only changes I made were as follows: breasts instead of thighs, the addition of 3 tbsps of chicken base, and we used tiny pasta instead of egg noodles. Very good recipe.
Jan 30, 2019
I read a lot of reviews before making this. The ONLY change I made was that I used chicken breasts vs chicken thighs. This was by far THE BEST Chicken Noodle Soup I’ve ever had!! Plenty of flavor and warms your entire body up on a cold night!! This will definitely be a regular in our home. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! If you haven’t made this yet, you are missing out!