The Queen’s French Toast
This is our signature dish, served since Day 1. The toast is baked in the oven and has the perfect blend of orange and nutmeg flavoring. The tangy syrup makes the dish and is so simple to prepare.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chiling Bake: 30 min.
Makes7 servings (1-1/4 cups syrup)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 14 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- Confectioners' sugar
- Pour butter into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; top with bread. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, orange juice, milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Turn slices over. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, sugar and orange juice concentrate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot and bubbly, stirring once. Serve with French toast; dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 454 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 149mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as The Queen's French Toast in Country June/July 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.