- 1 package yellow cake mix or cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting, divided
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons orange paste food coloring
- 12 green gumdrops
- 1/2 teaspoon green paste food coloring
- Prepare and bake cupcakes according to package directions. Fill 24 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cans frosting; tint orange. Cut a thin slice off the top of each cupcake. Spread frosting on 12 cupcakes. Invert remaining cupcakes and place on top; frost top and sides.
- For stems, place one gumdrop on each pumpkin. Tint remaining frosting green. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #5 round tip and fill with a third of the green frosting. Pipe curly vines from pumpkin stems. Using green frosting and #352 leaf tip, pipe leaves randomly along the vines. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forThe Great Pumpkin Cakes
"I like this one!"
"Super cute recipe!"
"Super cute recipe"
"it was so much fun to make and the kids love it!"
"Very good, my family loved them :)"
"These were a hit at a neighborhood Halloween party! It is kind of hard to frost the two cupcakes together since you are frosting all sides (where do you hold onto it while you spread frosting?). Also, we made some mini cupcakes and made smaller pumpkins; these were the first ones chosen from the tray. We loved the cookie crumb dirt from in the photo."
"How adorable I can't wait to make these, what a great idea."
"Perfect! Very cute idea."
"this is so easy and fun to do. they look great and the grandkids had a blast helping lol"