- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 blocks (4 ounces each) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 block (4 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Minced chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, mustard, salt and pepper; cook until onion is tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant. Whisk in flour; continue whisking 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes. Gradually stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese; stir in Monterey Jack cheese. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Top with bread crumbs; return to oven until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chives. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forThe Best Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
"Amazing!!! Followed recipe exactly. We have always had problems with scalloped potatoes and cooking time, flavor was generally good but under cooked. These came out perfectly tender and absolutely delicious, with a beautiful crusty top!"
"I have been looking for a good scalloped potato recipe for decades but every one I tried never came out the way I liked. This one was perfect. I did make some variations on this recipe. I hate onions so i left them out & i left off the bread crumb topping as well. Also, I didn't have any monterey jack cheese so i used pepper jack. It gave the potatoes a nice kick! This one is a keeper!"