- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 blocks (4 ounces each) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 block (4 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Minced chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, mustard, salt and pepper; cook until onion is tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant. Whisk in flour; continue whisking 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes. Gradually stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese; stir in Monterey Jack cheese. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Top with bread crumbs; return to oven until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chives. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forThe Best Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
"Hands down the best scalloped potato recipe I have ever made!"
"Not sure what I did wrong, but mine came out brown gross mush. Followed the instructions perfectly. Kids even thought maybe it was a prank recipe. Maybe we just don't like scalloped potatoes. Will stick to Augratin. Lol. #thanksgivingsidedishdisaster"
"Amazing!!! Followed recipe exactly. We have always had problems with scalloped potatoes and cooking time, flavor was generally good but under cooked. These came out perfectly tender and absolutely delicious, with a beautiful crusty top!"
"I have been looking for a good scalloped potato recipe for decades but every one I tried never came out the way I liked. This one was perfect. I did make some variations on this recipe. I hate onions so i left them out & i left off the bread crumb topping as well. Also, I didn't have any monterey jack cheese so i used pepper jack. It gave the potatoes a nice kick! This one is a keeper!"