Thanksgiving Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (16 to 18 pounds) with giblets and neck
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) day-old egg bread, cubed
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 medium carrot, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Reserve turkey giblets and neck; cover and refrigerate. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Melt 1/4 cup butter; brush over turkey. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- 2. Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 4 to 4-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes after the first hour. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 3. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat; saute vegetables until tender. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, parsley and onion mixture; stir in broth and egg substitute. Divide mixture between two greased 2-qt. baking dishes. Bake, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, about 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes.
- 4. For gravy, place vegetables, seasonings, 4 cups water and reserved giblets and neck in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until giblets are tender, about 1 hour. Strain stock; return to pan.
- 5. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Skim fat from pan drippings; add remaining drippings and loosened browned bits from roasting pan to stock.
- 6. Mix flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stock mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 24 servings (3 cups gravy, 16 cups stuffing).
1 serving: 534 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 408mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 53g protein.
Reviews for Thanksgiving Stuffed Turkey
"I've always been terrified at making gravy, this by far was the best tasting, fail-proof, will-definitely-do-again recipe I've ever done. My family loved it! Great job!"