Thanksgiving Cranberry Gelatin
This salad has graced my mother's Thanksgiving table for as long as I can remember. —Tiffany Anderson-Taylor, Gulfport, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (6 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups boiling cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cups ice cubes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium pear, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve cherry gelatin and sugar in boiling cranberry juice. Add the ice cubes; stir until dissolved. Refrigerate until thickened, about 45 minutes.
- Fold in the celery, pear, cranberries and 1/2 cup walnuts. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, dissolve lemon gelatin in water. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 35 minutes. Whisk in 1/4 cup mayonnaise; fold in the remaining mayonnaise. Fold in half of the whipped topping. Carefully spoon over cherry layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.
- Spread with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 210 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Thanksgiving Cranberry Gelatin in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005