Thanks for Taking Me to the Moon Peanut Butter Moon Pie Recipe
Somebody once sent me over the moon. Well, that’s a story for another day, but I can tell you that when it was time to come back down to earth, I showed him how I felt with this pie. The peanut butter cream is earthy, like a peanut butter sand-wich that’s been transformed into a dessert. But then the marshmallow whipped cream and the MoonPies take it straight into the stratosphere. It’s a kid-friendly treat, with a little grown-up flavor in it, too. Because everyone should be free to fly to the moon once in a while..
Recommended: A Round-Up of 50 Famous Texas Foods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- Graham Cracker Pie Shell
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (not all-natural)
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow cream
- 4 Mini MoonPies, halved crosswise, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon grated bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, for garnish
- For the pie shell: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss together the crumbs and butter in a medium bowl to moisten. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9½-inch deep-dish pie pan. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to firm up the butter. Bake in the center of the oven for about 10 minutes, or until just set and fragrant. Place on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter, and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until well-blended and smooth.
- In another medium bowl, beat the cream and vanilla on high speed until it holds firm peaks. Beat the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture on low speed. Pour the filling into the crust and smooth the top. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or until set.
- For the topping: In a large bowl using the handheld mixer, beat the cream and confectioners’ sugar on high speed until it holds soft peaks. Add the marshmallow cream and beat to firm peaks. Scoop the topping into a pastry bag fitted with a fluted tip and pipe it decoratively over the filling.
- Nestle the halved MoonPies into the whipped cream and sprinkle with the grated chocolate. Yield: One 9½-inch pie.
Originally published as Thanks for Taking Me to the Moon Peanut Butter Moon Pie in Taste of Home November 2017