From Cadillac, Michigan, Teri Rasey lets her slow-cooker do most of the work when preparing this brisket flavored with peanuts, soy and zesty seasonings.
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds), cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups julienned carrots
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown brisket on both sides in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, pepper flakes and pepper; pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the carrots, peppers and onions in remaining olive oil until crisp-tender. Add peanuts if desired. Stir cooking juices and stir into vegetable mixture.
- Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place rice on a large serving platter; top with meat and vegetable mixture. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Thai-Style Brisket in Taste of Home August/September 2005, p 48