Thai Shrimp Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 lemon grass stalk
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, water, brown sugar, ginger, fish sauce, curry paste and lemon grass. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in shrimp and edamame. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- 2. Add the coconut milk, corn, bamboo shoots, basil, cilantro, lime juice, lime peel and curry powder; heat through. Discard lemon grass. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 163 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 505mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Thai Shrimp Soup
"I follow this recipe for its broth. The flavor is good enough but not spicy enough for me. So I added a few more tablespoon of curry paste to get to the spicy level that I like."
"Nice & delicious recipe!"
"Wow is all I can say. What a great taste and easy to make. I did not have lemongrass - used lemon peel and lime juice."
"This is really fantastic and light on the calories. You can really taste the lime in this so if you don't like lime; I'd skip it. I will be making this over and over again!"
"Excellent. excellent, excellent. I always receive compliments when I make this soup, as well as requests for the recipe itself. My family and friends "like it hot' so I tend to kick it up a notch with the spices and I vary the veggies; last time I made the soup I tossed in a bag of frozen Oriental-style vegetables, as I had a bag on hand at the time. And I have never made this recipe using actual lemon grass stalk as my local grocery store carries chopped lemon grass stalk (in a tube)in the produce section."
"This is the best soup I have ever had the pleasure of eating! I absolutly loved it. I couldn't find lemongrass so I left it out. I have a lot of non-shrimp eaters at my house so I put some cooked chicken in as well for them. I will make this as often as I can get away with it. Just printed out the recipe to share with a friend."
"We loved this recipe! I didn't have coconut milk and substituted evaporated milk. I skipped the cilantro and lime zest, didn't have it on hand, but it was still awesome! Thanks for the recipe!"
"I had to sub lemon grass paste and it worked well! So good a new fav in our house!"
"I was able to find all of the ingredients locally, except for the fresh lemon grass. I used native Maine shrimp, in season now, and it was delicious...Every spoonful was a new combination of flavors. Thank you!"
"My husband and I really enjoyed this soup. It had such a nice light flavor and I loved the ingredients. Yum! We'll make this one again for sure."
"This soup is just fantastic. I made it last night - I used lemongrass that is sold in the jar, as getting fresh lemongrass in my community is a bit hit-and-miss. I did cook some rice noodles and put them in the bowl, then ladled the soup over. Without question, one of the best soups I have ever made. My husband had Thai soup when we went to Sydney Austalia about 10 years ago which he has been trying to find in North America ever since - this is the closest so far, according to him! I was told to "make this as often as you like"!!! Thanks for the recipe!"
"This really was easy! I had to sub lemon zest for the grass though. Still so yummy!"