Thai Shrimp and Rice
Raisins and coconut milk add a lovely hint of sweetness to this Thai dish, and freshly grated lime peel and minced gingerroot give it a wonderful aroma and flavor. The meal-in-one features enough shrimp and snow peas to add a fun flair to weeknight menus.—Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked converted rice
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup each chopped green and sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup each raisins and golden raisins
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground coriander and cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh snow peas, cut into thin strips
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the broth, rice, vegetables, water, coconut milk, lime juice, coconut, raisins, garlic, lime zest and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until rice is tender.
- Stir in shrimp and peas. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 336 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 845mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Thai Shrimp and Rice in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.