Thai Restaurant Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar and pepper. Add broth; stir until smooth. Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and peanut butter; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 teaspoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the onion and red pepper in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 359 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 29, 2019
I added broccoli florets and served with basmanti rice. It was very good.
Jun 22, 2016
Yummy! I added red curry paste, only thing i changed. It was so good my husband actually licked his plate.
May 1, 2015
By the time I got done "tweaking" the recipe, it was delicious. However, as written, it written it was quite bland and boring. I added a coconut milk, snow peas, red curry paste and lime juice.
Jan 27, 2015
Where do u find red curry paste?
Oct 29, 2013
Just making this now and wonder when the sesame oil is to be added...also recipe says divided?...my question is where do you divide it?
Feb 5, 2012
so good,my only problem was portion control! yummy!
Dec 15, 2010
Nice starter recipe for a person new to Thai cooking (that would be me). I added some curry, deleted the peppers and substituted carrot shreds and bean sprouts (raw, but did stir fry them first). I felt it needed a bit more zip so also added a touch of black pepper. Nice recipe, will make again.
Nov 2, 2010
Good and fairly easy to make. I added cilantro and a little Thai Red Curry Paste for added zip.
Jul 12, 2010
This was great. I added red pepper flakes and broccoli to the recipe. Will make again for sure!
May 31, 2010
I am sorry but if this is the kind of dish you get in a Thai restaurant in your area, you are missing out. I did not think it had much flavor and it was not a very traditional Thai style at all.