Texican Rice Salad
This dish is a favorite of my husband's and makes use of the plentiful rice grown in our area. I make it often!—Rebecca Mininger, Jeromesville, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 to 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili sauce, garlic, salt and chili powder; add to meat mixture. Stir in the rice, beans and chilies. Cover and cook over medium until heated through. Add tomato; cook 5 minutes longer.
- For each serving, spoon 1 cup meat mixture over lettuce and sprinkle with cheese.
Originally published as Texican Rice Salad Maindish in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.