Strips of bacon and warm cheese sauce turn these open-faced sandwiches into a lip-smacking lunch. "Serve with a bowl of soup for speedy meal," suggests Karen Gentry from Somerset, Kentucky. "They're just as good when the turkey is replaced with ham."
Recommended: 24 Quick Dinners You Can Literally Toss Together
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 6 thick slices fresh white bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 18 bacon strips, cooked
- 1 cup process cheese sauce
- Butter one side of each slice of bread; place buttered side up on a baking sheet. Broil 5 in. from the heat for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Top with turkey; broil for 2 minutes or until heated through. Top each with three strips of bacon.
- Place cheese sauce in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 1 minute longer or until heated through. Pour over sandwiches. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Texas Toast Turkey Melts in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p9