Texas Taco Dip Platter
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) corn chips
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce, optional
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add next 7 ingredients; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add beans and heat through. On a platter, layer the corn chips, rice, meat mixture, cheese, onion, lettuce, tomatoes and olives. If desired, serve with picante sauce.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 522 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1200mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 27g protein.
Aug 3, 2017
I know this recipe as Mexican Stack. Absolutely love it. I love adding jalapenos on one side and banana peppers on the opposite side. Fun recipe to serve to guests.
Jun 29, 2017
Bobbie The recipe calls for you to layer the corn chips, rice, meat mixture.... in step 2. The sauce is simmered to meld the flavors and thicken.Hope that helps,Sue StetzelRecipe Support SpecialistTaste of Home Magazine
Jun 24, 2017
The recipe isn't very clear. After cooking the meat sauce, what do you do with it? I don't know why it would have to simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Jun 22, 2016
Oct 18, 2015
Don't change a thing.
Oct 18, 2015
I've been making a dish like this for years, we call it "dinner nachos" because it's got meat, veggies and lots of cheese. The nice thing about it is that you can vary the ingredients to whatever is on hand or you're in the mood for. I use extra lean ground beef so I don't have to drain it. I've always thought it was silly to add onions, garlic and spices to ground beef and then drain away those flavors when the meat was done cooking.
Feb 7, 2015
Added fresh roasted green chilies to the meat mixture as it simmered and fresh jap on top of the pile. I think salsa and maybe a dollop of sour cream on top would be good.
Jan 30, 2015
Made this last night with a couple of substitutes. Instead of the tomato paste & puree, I just added a container of my favorite deli salsa to the meat. Definitely a hit at our house. Will be making it again!
Jan 29, 2015
This is a good recipe very tasty, I serve it on plates or bowls will be making it for Super Bowl Game we like to drizzle a little homemade salsa on it too with a few garden canned jalapenos yummmmmmm
Jan 28, 2015
Question: How do you eat this? Do you spoon it on to plates with more corn chips? Do you use tortilla chips and scoop it up right from the platter?